Categories

Find Blogs

Wednesday 6 January 2016

I AM SAME

Disclaimer: This is only a depiction of an incident and not intended to hurt anyone.

It was 1st of Nov'14. Winter was just approaching after Diwali holidays. Mornings are like chilling in Rourkela and I was in a hurry to catch the first train to Cuttack at 5.15. Though it's hard to wake up so early, however I managed it by 4 in the morning. Finished pack up and arrived station by 5. Routines start so early that I realized when I saw such a long queue for the tickets, thanks to the fate I had booked it before. I boarded the train immediately after buying some snacks for me along with a water bottle. It was the intercity express and I had booked my seat in the window side chair car berth. The train left the platform exactly on time. The gusty chilling wind forced me to shut the window and I could enjoy the cool morning site vaguely. The train caught speed gradually. Post an hour of my journey I unwrapped the snacks and began eating. The next long halt was at Jharsuguda for 10 minutes. I went outside and bought a cup of tea. It was really disgusting which I couldn't finish and threw it in the bin. However I boarded again and took out a pack of biscuits while the train started moving again.

5 minutes past and I heard a fainting clapping sound and understood the coming of transgender people for begging money. Truly saying, I do not like them at all begging money to the passengers in an unmannerly way. I continued eating biscuits. After a while it came to me and asked for money. I softly refused! Then that trans told me "Khali khautha" ‘you just eat only' and walked away. I was relieved that, the trans went away peacefully. After a while it returned with a bunch of rupees. I was surprised by the earning it made so easily and so early. The trans came and sat beside me. A few people exchanged money.
I ignored, and continued being busy with my mobile.

"Internet! Stay busy always with that mobile!" Trans told which I ignored with a smile.

"All mobile phones should be stopped" zie* told again.

"If mobiles would be closed do you think internet will be stopped?" I replied.

"Then all laptops too. I should ask Modi ji to stop all this" Trans answered.

"Ohh nice then, I could at least  save some money!" I replied to the silly statement.

"Give that money to me"  zie uttered immediately.

I remained silent. Meanwhile the Trans started counting the collected money.

"I did a mehendi on my hair yesterday, it's still shining" zie told with a bit excitement and breaking the silence. I looked back and gave an artificial smile and began surfing again on my mobile.

"I'm the same as you! We are not different from other people. The transgender said normally, not in their typical manner. I remained quiet and thought of starting a chat, at least to kill time. I started;

Me.     Shall I ask you something, only if you don't mind!
Trans.    I don't mind. Ask!
Me.        What's your name?
Trans.    Rashmi.
Me.        A good name! By the way, what do you do?
Rashmi. I didn't get you.
Me.        I mean what sort of work you do?
Rashmi. I don't do anything. I just beg. Actually we are not authorized to do anything.
Me.        Ok! But there are two of your transgender people who run a two wheeler stand in Rourkela bus stop.
Rashmi. I don't know. But we usually can't do any work.
Me.        What do you do with so much of money?
Rashmi. I run my family and sometimes we do donate too.
Me.        So, you have a family?
Rashmi. Yes! It includes my parents and my younger brother. I have to look after them and my brother is studying too.
Me.         Where is your family?
Rashmi.  In Jharsuguda. This is the place where I was born.
Me.        You donate! Whom ?
Rashmi. To our community. We have a community which works for our welfare. Sometimes it   provides fund for some noble purpose too. There is a  head of every local area who collects  money and lead us. We have to move out of state during meets.
Me.        That’s really a good work you people do. I appreciate.

Ok! Now I have to go and catch another train to return. I can't go beyond this station. Our boundaries are limited. Zie told and got off the train.



The next station was Sambalpur. Time passed talking to a different kind of person. Yet I think they are capable. Capable of earning like those who work in a two wheeler stand. They beg but we can't count them in the list of beggars. Transgender people these days are doing so many works and live in a society of common people. They must contribute towards the nation and must join hands in a developing country like India rather than asking money in a tough manner. 


*ZIE is gender neutral pronoun and here mentions the trans. 

6 comments:

  1. Undoubtedly this is the best of your writings! Everything in it is so well placed.keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks brother. Hope I could deliver more such posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ppl always try to avoid such kind..begging or prostitutions is there only mean to survive..very well biswa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today, I can't read this blog, I'll read it on 10th..

    ReplyDelete